Spring Greens with Beets and Goat Cheese Recipe
- 2/3 cup pecan halves
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon stone-ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) sliced beets, drained
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1. In a large heavy skillet, cook the pecans, 1 tablespoon vinegar and water over medium heat until nuts are toasted, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar. Cook and stir for 2-4 minutes or until sugar is melted. Spread on foil to cool.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, syrup, mustard, salt and remaining vinegar. Refrigerate until serving.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine salad greens and dressing; toss to coat. Divide among eight salad plates. Top with beets, goat cheese and glazed pecans. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup: 268 calories, 22g fat (7g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 299mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Spring Greens with Beets and Goat Cheese
"I've always been a fan of beets in salads. This is a great combination of flavors and textures."
"Everyone I serve this to, loves it"
"The goat cheese and toasted nuts are the perfect compliment to one another."
"OMG, I make this often. Or at least the dressing because it is so good. This is another ToH classic to which all of the old reviews are missing."
"I have made this salad many times and it is always LOVED! There are never leftovers!"
"I made this for a Christmas brunch and it was a huge hit. Would definitely like to try it with the fresh beets as other reviews recommended."
"It was a hit. All loved it."
"I also used roasted beets. and feta cheese. yummie!! Kids loved it too."
"Try it with roasted beets instead of canned -- this is a whole different experience! Even my food snob all organic sister liked it! To roast beets: cut off top, scrub & wrap each beet in foil. Baked at 350 until tender (press on the packet to test). Let cool (in fridge is fine), then peel & slice. One large beet or two smaller ones gives enough for the recipe. CAUTION: put cooked beets on a plate or in a bowl in fridge, as they may leak. Also wear gloves to peel or you will have pink fingers."
"I made this for my husband and now he can't get enough of it! We just thought this was THE BEST."
"My husband & I absolutely loved this salad and I have made it several times since. The flavors all blend together so well. I took this to a dinner party and everyone wanted the recipe. Occasionally I prepare the sugar glazed pecans (or walnuts) without the vinegar & water and the nuts are just as wonderful. GRRRRREAT Salad!"
"THIS REMINDS ME OF A SALAD MY HUSBAND AND I HAD IN A FAVORITE RESTAURANT OF OURS. MMMMM... IT'S A KEEPER."