Spring Greens Quiche Recipe
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches), see below
- 6 center-cut bacon strips, chopped
- 5 cups julienned dandelion greens or Swiss chard
- 5 cups fresh baby spinach
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded Jarlsberg cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in. thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice.
- Bake 13 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake 3 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 1 tablespoon. Cook and stir greens, spinach and green onions in drippings until wilted and liquid is evaporated.
- Brush prepared crust with egg white; layer with wilted greens, cheese and cooked bacon. In a large bowl, whisk remaining ingredients; pour over top.
- Bake 35-40 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Spring Greens Quiche(2)
Sort By :
I didn't have all the listed greens on hand, so I substituted spinach and red peppers instead. My family loved the dough and the quiche in general. The only comments were that the filling was a bit soft: I had forgotten to put in the cheese. Also, I actually used all the bacon grease to sauté the vegetables. This made the filling succulent. Even with my changes, the recipe was delicious and I would definitely make it again.
this is an absolutely wonderful recipes. I made it exactly as printed it turned out great.
next time I think I will add all half and half instead of cream and 2 percent milk.
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bacon Recipes >
- Breakfast Egg Recipes >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Brunch Egg Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Breakfast Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Country Woman Breakfast Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Easter Breakfast Recipes >
- Easter Brunch Recipes >
- Easter Dinner Recipes >
- Easter Main Dish Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Egg Recipes >
- Eggs Recipes >