- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until
- crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on
- paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 1 tablespoon. Cook and
- stir greens, spinach and green onions in drippings until wilted and
- liquid is evaporated.
- Brush prepared crust with egg white; layer with wilted greens, cheese
- and cooked bacon. In a large bowl, whisk remaining ingredients; pour
- over top.
- Bake 35-40 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center
- comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6
Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inces): Combine 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 tsp. salt; cut in 1/2 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 3-5 Tbsp. ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour. Let pie weights cool before storing. Beans and rice may be reused for pie weights, but not for cooking.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 465 calories, 35 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 219 mg cholesterol, 515 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Wine: Sparkling Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.