Ready to roll out the cookie dough and create an edible masterpiece? Kids of all ages will love making this fun-to-paint, even-more-fun-to-eat cookie puzzle. Who said it's bad manners to play with your food? —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Featured In: 25 Recipes for Easter Cookies
- 1 tube (16-1/2 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Blanched almonds
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 to 5 tablespoons 2% milk
- Assorted colored sugars and food coloring of your choice
- Let cookie dough stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes to soften. In a large bowl, beat cookie dough and flour until blended. On a parchment paper-lined surface, roll dough into a 14x11-in. rectangle. With cookie cutters, cut out puzzle shapes. Slide a baking sheet under the parchment paper and dough. Chill 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. Remove shapes and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Place an almond on its side into the center of each shape for a handle. Bake shapes 7-10 minutes or until edges are golden brown. While still warm, recut shapes with the same cookie cutters to form neat edges. (If cookies cool too quickly, warm in oven to soften.) Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
- Bake large rectangular puzzle on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet 12-16 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Immediately recut the shapes inside the puzzle to form neat edges. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Frost puzzle and shapes with some of the frosting; decorate with sugars. Tint remaining frosting; pipe as desired. Place puzzle shapes inside puzzle. Yield: 1 cookie puzzle.
Originally published as Spring Garden Cookie Puzzle in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p166
Reviews for Spring Garden Cookie Puzzle
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review