Spring and Fall Pie
Every spring, I have a good crop of rhubarb in my garden, and one of my favorite ways to use it is in this pie. I adapted this version from a recipe I received from our county Extension service.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, halved
- 1-1/2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and flour; stir in rhubarb,
- cranberries and apples. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry;
- add filling.
- Cover with a lattice crust; seal and flute edges. Bake at 450°
- for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° bake 40 minutes longer or
- until filling is bubbly. Cover edges loosely with foil to prevent
- overbrowning if necessary. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 417 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 198 mg sodium, 72 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.