- 2 pounds dried navy beans
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 smoked ham hocks
- 1 tablespoon marinade for chicken
- 12 orange peel strips (1 to 3 inches)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place in a stockpot; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1-4 hours or until beans are softened.
- Drain and rinse beans; discard liquid and set beans aside. In the same pan, saute onions in butter until tender. Add carrots; saute 4-5 minutes longer.
- Add the ham hocks, marinade for chicken, orange peel, salt, thyme, bay leaves, beans and enough water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Remove ham hocks; when cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones. Discard bones and cut meat into cubes; return to the soup. Add the additional ham, tomatoes and vinegar; heat through. Discard bay leaves and orange peel before serving. Yield: 27 servings (6-3/4 quarts).
Originally published as Sportsman's Bean Soup in Country Extra November 2008, p51
Reviews for Sportsman's Bean Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Bean Soup Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Ham and Bean Soup >
- Ham Recipes >
- Ham Soup >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >