This standard muffin recipe has to be one of my all-time favorites. I like to make them as is or with blueberries added to the batter. No matter how they're prepared, everyone agrees that the best way to eat them is hot from the oven slathered with sweet creamy butter!
30 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 cups self-rising flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; let stand for 5
- minutes. Combine the flour, egg, butter and sugar; add to yeast
- mixture and mix well.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at
- 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Yield: 2-1/2 to 3 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 103 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 240 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.