This recipe has been in my family for over 100 years. My great-grandmother first made it in her one-room log cabin over an open fire! This recipe is still a family favorite as a side dish with pork and fresh vegetables. Add 1/2 cup of sugar or honey to turn it into a wonderful, old-fashioned dessert.
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 2 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, room temperature, separated
- Scald milk (do not boil); stir in the butter, cornmeal and salt.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until cornmeal comes away from sides of
- pan and thickens. Set aside to cool until lukewarm.
- Add beaten egg yolks; mix thoroughly. Fold in stiffly beaten egg
- whites; mix gently but thoroughly. Pour into greased 2-qt. baking
- dish. Bake at 375° for 1 hour or until top is golden brown.
- Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 272 calories, 17 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 148 mg cholesterol, 581 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.