Spooky Spider Cake Recipe
Get ready to wow the crowd with this appetizing arachnid. By using different frosting techniques and traditional Halloween candy, you too can create this fun creepy crawler! —Gina M. Feger, Louisville, Kentucky
- CHOCOLATE CAKE:
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 eggs
- WHITE CAKE:
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups shortening
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
- 2 pounds confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons meringue powder
- Purple and black paste food coloring
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 2 wooden dowels (2 inches x 1/4 inch)
- 1 cardboard cake circle (6 inches)
- 16 wooden toothpicks
- 8 black twist licorice ropes
- 20 pieces candy corn
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the chocolate cake mix, water and eggs on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into the two halves of a greased and floured sports ball baking pan. Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 2. Meanwhile, in another bowl, beat the white cake mix, water and eggs on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 3. Cool all cakes for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. For frosting, using a heavy-duty stand mixer, combine the shortening, 1/4 cup water and vanilla. Combine confectioners' sugar and meringue powder; beat into shortening mixture.
- 5. For base cake: Tint 2-1/4 cups frosting purple. Using a serrated knife, level tops of white cakes if necessary. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining tinted frosting over top and sides of cake.
- 6. Combine 3 cups frosting, cocoa and remaining water until smooth; tint black. Combine 1/4 cup black frosting and corn syrup. Using round tip #2 and black frosting with corn syrup, pipe webs and spiders around sides of cake.
- 7. With 3/4 cup white frosting and shell tip #18, pipe border along bottom edge of cake. Insert dowels into center of cake. Cut cardboard circle to measure 3-1/4 in.; place over cake.
- 8. For spider cake: Using a serrated knife, level the rounded side of one chocolate cake; attach to cake circle with a small amount of black frosting. Spread top with 1/3 cup black frosting; top with remaining chocolate cake.
- 9. Using grass tip #233 and black frosting, pipe hair over cake. With white frosting and round tip # 12, pipe eyes and teeth. Pipe pupils with round tip #2 and black frosting.
- 10. For legs, insert a toothpick into the ends of each licorice rope. Insert one end into side of spider; insert other end into top of purple cake. Garnish with candy corn. Yield: 18-20 servings.
1 slice equals 608 calories, 25 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 378 mg sodium, 92 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Spooky Spider Cake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC