Dressing up an old favorite for the occasion, I made hearty Spooky Joes, served open-faced so everyone could see slices of cheese cut into Halloween shapes topping the beef. The sandwiches were accompanied by orange cheese curls and jack-o-lantern Jell-O jigglers.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 hamburger buns, split
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Stir in the soup and onion salt; heat through. Stir in
- shredded cheddar cheese until melted. Spoon about 1/2 cup onto the
- bottom of each bun. Cut cheese slices with 2-1/2-in. Halloween
- cookie cutters; place over beef mixture. Serve bun tops on the side.
- Yield: 8 servings.