Spooky Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
These special cupcakes, decorated with bats, black cats, webs and ghosts, disappeared fast!—Barb Schlafer, Appleton, Wisconsin
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- Black paste food coloring
- Orange and black M&M's
- Tart 'n' Tiny candies
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Combine the water, oil, vinegar and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- 3. In a bowl, cream the shortening, butter and confectioners' sugar. Stir in water and extracts. Remove 1/2 cup frosting to a small bowl; tint with black food coloring. Frost cupcakes with remaining white frosting.
- 4. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag. Insert a small round #5 tip; fill bag with black frosting. Decorate cupcakes with black frosting and candies as desired. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 360 calories, 17 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 242 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Spooky Chocolate Cupcakes
Reviewed Jan. 20, 2013
"No eggs,began cupcake"
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC