Spooky Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
These special cupcakes, decorated with bats, black cats, webs and ghosts, disappeared fast!—Barb Schlafer, Appleton, Wisconsin
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- Black paste food coloring
- Orange and black M&M's
- Tart 'n' Tiny candies
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Combine the water, oil, vinegar and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- 3. In a bowl, cream the shortening, butter and confectioners' sugar. Stir in water and extracts. Remove 1/2 cup frosting to a small bowl; tint with black food coloring. Frost cupcakes with remaining white frosting.
- 4. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag. Insert a small round #5 tip; fill bag with black frosting. Decorate cupcakes with black frosting and candies as desired. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 each: 360 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 242mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Spooky Chocolate Cupcakes
Reviewed Jan. 20, 2013
"No eggs,began cupcake"
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC