Sponge Cake with Blueberry Topping Recipe
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- BLUEBERRY TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- SOUR CREAM TOPPING:
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- grated orange peel, optional
- 1. Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift flour and baking powder; set aside.
- 2. Place oven rack in lowest position. Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, beat yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Blend in orange juice. Add dry ingredients to yolk mixture until well blended
- 3. Add cream of tartar to egg whites; with clean beaters, beat on high until stiff but not dry. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- 4. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan; smooth the top. Bake 50-55 minutes or cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert the pan; cool completely.
- 5. For blueberry topping, in a large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and orange peel. Stir in orange juice until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in blueberries.
- 6. For sour cream topping, in a large bowl, combine sour cream, confectioners' sugar and vanilla.
- 7. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate; cut into slices. Serve with warm blueberry topping and the sour cream topping. Garnish with orange peel if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 250 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 100 mg cholesterol, 77 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Sponge Cake with Blueberry Topping
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.