- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 8 eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Food coloring, optional
- 4 cups flaked coconut, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extract. Combine the flour and baking powder; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls 3 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 6-8 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small bowl, beat the butter, sugar, extract and salt until smooth. Add enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Tint with food coloring if desired. Frost cooled cookies. Sprinkle with coconut if desired. Yield: 11 dozen.
Originally published as Sponge Cake Cookies in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p40
Reviews for Sponge Cake Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 15, 2007
"Sure wish there was a photo of these. They sound very "light and tasty". I added them to my recipe box."