Split Pea Vegetable Soup
This recipe originated with the master chef of our familymy father-in-law. It freezes so well that frequently I'll cook up a double batch of soup.
My husband, our two sons (14 and 12) and I live on 70 acres outside of town. I enjoy crafts. But I'm every bit as happy plowing fields or baling hay!
16-20 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1-1/2 cups dried green split peas, rinsed
- 2-1/2 quarts water
- 7 to 8 whole allspice, tied in a cheesecloth bag
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, shredded
- In a Dutch oven, combine the peas, water, allspice, salt and pepper;
- bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Stir in the potatoes, carrots, onions, ham and cabbage; return to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until
- vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Discard allspice.
- Yield: 16-20 servings (about 5 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 180 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 435 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 9 g protein.