- 1 package (16 ounces) dried green split peas
- 8 cups water
- 3/4 pound potatoes (about 2 medium), cubed
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham (about 10 ounces)
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 5 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Place all ingredients in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until peas and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Split Pea Soup with Ham
"WOW...delicious soup! I have made split pea soup for 40 years but never with these seasonings. Never have seen such a unique recipe and those seasonings are what makes this taste so good I'm sure. I also don't like the mushy taste of split pea soup but it always seems to go there. ....not this soup. It's very tasty and is now the go-to recipe for split pea soup at my house. I served it with jalapeno/cheese bread."
"This soup is just delicious! I made it the other day and am going to make another pot for a girlfriends birthday. She loves soup and l think she'll be so happy with this. Janet. VFE"
"This is my favorite split pea soup of all I have tried. It's very flavorful and has just the right consistency for me -- not too thick and not to thin. I'm very happy to have found it."
"This was awesome! We substituted the water with vegetable broth, and sweet potatoes for regular baking potatoes, added garlic and shortened cooking time to about an hour. No salt is needed at all, this was very flavorful! We used ham and served with warm cornbread! This is a winner!!"
"I have made this many times since I first saw it years ago in Taste of Home. As I remember it was submitted by a lady from my town of Alta Loma, California--so I had to try it! It is a family favorite many times over. I made it tonight for Christmas Eve, for the first time with bacon instead of ham. Hoping for good results as usual."
"This is not only hearty, but a little different twist to split pea soup. Made this for company tonight, they thought it was delicious. Will make it again, and again."