Split Pea Soup with Cubed Ham Recipe
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups dried green split peas
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 3 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until peas are tender. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 236 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 1177mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 13g fiber), 17g protein.
Reviews for Split Pea Soup with Cubed Ham
"I had prepared this recipe when it was firstfeatured in Taste of Home and I found it really good-it was a recipe which I definitely will use if I make Split Pea soup!I did make adjustments on this recipe to suit my tastes: I used 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil I also used 3/4 tsp. Italian seasoning.The soup came out tasting delicious!Thank you, Holly Dow, for this recipe!DELowenstein"
"This recipe was very bland. I looked up another recipe from this site and added spices and it was so much better. I will be using the other recipe going forward."
"Next time I make this recipe, I will omit added salt; the ham makes it salty enough. Otherwise, great combination of spices!"
"My family loves this soup. I added chopped carrots and celery to it with the onion. Yum!"
"This is very good and very easy to make"