Split Pea Soup with Cubed Ham Recipe
My husband has always loved split pea soup, but I never cared for it—until I came across this recipe. The combination of flavors is so tasty that even I have to admit to liking it.—Holly Dow, Presque Isle, Maine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups dried green split peas
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 3 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until peas are tender. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup equals 236 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 1,177 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 13 g fiber, 17 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC