Split Pea Soup Mix Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried green split peas
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried yellow split peas
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 package (16 ounces) medium pearl barley
- 1 package (12 ounces) alphabet pasta
- 1 jar (1/2 ounce) dried celery flakes
- 1/2 cup dried parsley flakes
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients and place in airtight containers, or divide the first seven ingredients equally among 13 plastic bags. Store in a cool dry place for up to 1 year.Yield: 13 batches (13 cups total).
- 2. To prepare soup: In a large saucepan, combine 1 cup soup mix, broth, pepper and chicken if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 60-70 minutes or until peas and lentils are tender. Yield: about 4 servings per batch.
Nutritional Analysis: One 1-cup serving (prepared with chicken and low-sodium broth) equals 158 calories, 117 mg sodium, 7 gm cholesterol, 26 gm carbohydrate, 11 gm protein, 3 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.