- 1 package (16 ounces) dried green split peas
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried yellow split peas
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 package (16 ounces) medium pearl barley
- 1 package (12 ounces) alphabet pasta
- 1 jar (1/2 ounce) dried celery flakes
- 1/2 cup dried parsley flakes
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients and place in airtight containers, or divide the first seven ingredients equally among 13 plastic bags. Store in a cool dry place for up to 1 year.Yield: 13 batches (13 cups total).
- To prepare soup: In a large saucepan, combine 1 cup soup mix, broth, pepper and chicken if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 60-70 minutes or until peas and lentils are tender. Yield: about 4 servings per batch.
Reviews for Split Pea Soup Mix
"Has anyone had very good luck putting everything in the pot at once? I have a package of something very similar: by the time the lentils, peas, and barley are done the pasta (and rice in the store-bought mix) are mush. I'm thinking you really have to package the items requiring longer cooking times together, which would help with rinsing. Cook those for 45-60 minutes before adding anything else. This mix can also be improved by adding dried vegetables."
"The peas need to be rinsed and sorted prior to cooking. How do you handle this if all ingredients are combined together for giving."
"I added 1 cup more water to the mix when I made it. Delicious and very filling!"