Split Pea Soup Mix Recipe
"My mother sent me some of this pretty dry blend along with the recipe," comments Susan Ruckert of Tangent, Oregon. "This hearty soup is thick with lentils, barley and peas, and chicken is a nice change from the usual ham."
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried green split peas
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried yellow split peas
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 package (16 ounces) medium pearl barley
- 1 package (12 ounces) alphabet pasta
- 1 jar (1/2 ounce) dried celery flakes
- 1/2 cup dried parsley flakes
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients and place in airtight containers, or divide the first seven ingredients equally among 13 plastic bags. Store in a cool dry place for up to 1 year.Yield: 13 batches (13 cups total).
- To prepare soup: In a large saucepan, combine 1 cup soup mix, broth, pepper and chicken if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 60-70 minutes or until peas and lentils are tender. Yield: about 4 servings per batch.
Originally published as Split Pea Soup Mix in Quick Cooking September/October 1998, p59
Reviews for Split Pea Soup Mix(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 13, 2012
The peas need to be rinsed and sorted prior to cooking. How do you handle this if all ingredients are combined together for giving.
Reviewed Dec. 9, 2009
I added 1 cup more water to the mix when I made it. Delicious and very filling!
More Recipe Collections
- Barley Soup >
- Bean Soup Recipes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Lentil Soup Recipes >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Pea Soup >
- Pea Soup Recipes >
- Quick Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Quick Recipes >
- Simple Quick Recipes >