Split Pea Sausage Soup
Meet the Cook: When my husband and I eat out and enjoy a dish, I go home and try to duplicate it. That's how I came up with this recipe. While it's good at any time, we like it full and hearty over the winter. Our three children are grown. Now, we keep busy watching their children - our six grandchildren - grow.
-Donna Mae Young, Menomonie, Wisconsin
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Polish Kielbasa Sausage
- 1 pound dried split peas
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Cut sausage in half lengthwise; cut into 1/4-in. pieces. Place in a
- Dutch oven or stockpot; add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until peas are
- tender. Remove bay leaves. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 387 calories, 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 933 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 16 g fiber, 22 g protein.