Split Pea and Sausage Soup
A big bowl of substantial soup is the perfect antidote to cold weather and busy schedules. Whether it’s a weeknight family meal or an informal get-together, I pull out my tried-and-true soup and bread recipes and relax. —Trisha Kruse, Eagle, Idaho
6 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Smoked Sausage, sliced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup dried green split peas
- 2-1/2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups water
- Saute the sausage, potato, carrots, celery and onion in butter in a
- large skillet until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add garlic and
- oregano; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the peas, bouillon, bay leaf and
- water. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until peas are tender.
- Discard bay leaf. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/4 quarts).