- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup dried green split peas
- 2-1/2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups water
- Saute the sausage, potato, carrots, celery and onion in butter in a large skillet until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add garlic and oregano; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the peas, bouillon, bay leaf and water. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until peas are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Split Pea and Sausage Soup
Sort By :
"My husband and I both really liked this soup. Both of my kids were turned off by the greenish color of the broth, but after they tasted it, my super-picky 7-year-old actually said she LIKED it, and asked for more! Yea! A recipe with vegetables that she likes!!"
"I thought this was really good as did my 5 and 6 year olds. My husband only had one bowl which usually means he's not overly impressed (oh well). Next time I make it I think I will sauté only the sausage and onions-seems like doing the rest is not necessary."