Spit Roasted Lemon Rosemary Chicken Recipe
Pairs well with Gallo Family Vineyards Chardonnay.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours + marinating YIELD:6 servings
- 8 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns, crushed
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 2 medium lemons
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1. For brine, combine the first seven ingredients in a large kettle. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until salt is dissolved. Remove from the heat. Cool to room temperature. Meanwhile, grate peel from lemons. Juice lemons and reserve juiced lemon halves; set aside.
- 2. Remove giblets from chicken; discard. Place cold water in a 2-gal. resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Place in a roasting pan. Carefully pour cooled brine into bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours, turning several times.
- 3. Discard brine. Rinse chicken with water; pat dry. Rub inside of chicken with 1 teaspoon rosemary and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Place the juiced lemon halves in cavity. Skewer chicken openings, tie together.
- 4. Place chicken on rotisserie rod on grill with a drip pan according to manufacturer's directions. Combine olive oil, lemon juice, lemon peel, remaining rosemary, salt and pepper; brush over chicken. Grill 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until chicken juices run clear. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC