Spirals and Cheese Recipe
“My grandchildren simply love my macaroni and cheese.” What family wouldn’t go for the classic comfort of this warm, cheesy dish on blustery winter evenings? It’s sure to be a favorite with your gang, too! Flo Burtnett - Gage, OK
- 3-1/2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add 2 cups cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- 2. Drain pasta. Add to cheese mixture; toss gently to coat. Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; add bread crumbs and remaining cheddar and Parmesan cheeses. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup equals 569 calories, 27 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 817 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 26 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC