“My grandchildren simply love my macaroni and cheese.” What family wouldn’t go for the classic comfort of this warm, cheesy dish on blustery winter evenings? It’s sure to be a favorite with your gang, too! Flo Burtnett - Gage, OK
- 3-1/2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add 2 cups cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Drain pasta. Add to cheese mixture; toss gently to coat. Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; add bread crumbs and remaining cheddar and Parmesan cheeses. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spirals and Cheese in Simple & Delicious January/February 2010, p49
Reviews for Spirals and Cheese
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 3, 2010
"My husband really liked this. I thought it was good, but needed a little something more. Per my husbands instructions this will be made time and again."