Spinach with Hot Bacon Dressing Recipe
This dish is popular in Pennsylvania Dutch country. It takes a little time to make, but it's worth the effort. Sometimes I serve the dressing over other greens or even potato salad.—Romaine Wetzel, Ronks, Pennsylvania
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- Torn fresh spinach
- 1. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, celery seed, salt and mustard. Gradually stir in milk and vinegar. Add butter. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- 2. Stir a small amount of hot liquid into beaten eggs; return all to the pan. Cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in bacon and hard-cooked eggs. Serve immediately over spinach. Yield: about 4 cups.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 655 calories, 38 g fat (20 g saturated fat), 402 mg cholesterol, 1,079 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 16 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC