Spinach Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 small turnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon each dried thyme, basil and rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash to 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Add the broth, potatoes, turnip, carrot, green pepper and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Stir in spinach and corn; cool slightly. Puree half of the soup in a blender; return to the pan and heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cups equals 139 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 788 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.