Spinach-Topped Tomatoes Recipe
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 large tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook spinach according to package directions with bouillon; drain well. Cool slightly; press out excess liquid.
- Lightly salt tomato halves; place with cut side down on a paper towel for 15 minutes to absorb excess moisture.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the spinach, bread crumbs, cheese, onion, butter, egg, garlic, pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Place tomato halves, cut side up, in a shallow baking dish. Divide the spinach mixture over tomatoes. Sprinkle with shredded cheese if desired. Bake at 350° for about 15 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Spinach-Topped Tomatoes
Sort By :
"I have made this recipe countless times- I am addicted to it. I agree that bake time is more like 45-60 minutes. And, IF there are any left over, they are even better the next day"
"Great flavor and color. This is perfect for a light but warm meal."
"I made this this past summer and it wasoutstanding. I don't know how anyone could think otherwise. I'm going to try it roma tomatoes next time (this week)!"
"This was absolutely the easiest dish I have made for a crown. I used Roma tomatoes so that they were smaller and the recipe would go around better. It had a great, rich flavor that was only pennies per serving. And I had some of the spinach mixture left. (About enough for 3 more tomatoes) Also, something I did to make the tomatoes stand a little better was to slice a small portion off of the bottom/rounded portion of the tomato so that it had a flat base and were sturdier. Excellent."
"Cooking time is way off. Nothing was cooked when rest of meal was ready. Doubled the cooking time and still not great. I wouldn't make this again."