Spinach Tomato Tortellini Soup Recipe
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the broth, water, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Add tortellini; cook for 7-9 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Reduce heat. Stir in tomatoes and spinach; heat through. Just before serving, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 6 servings (about 2 quarts).
1-1/2 cup: 206 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 782mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Reviews for Spinach Tomato Tortellini Soup
"I loved this soup. Added some Mrs. Dash to give it more flavor. Will make again."
"Love the broth for this soup! It was very easy to put together and was ready in no time. I made the recipe as is (pretty much) except all I had on hand was dried tortellini (which I don't recommend) - I will definitely use the refrigerated pasta next time. Also, the 1 teaspoon of sugar seemed unnecessary to me, and I was right. I did end up putting 1/4 teaspoon in the soup, but it didn't need it. I will leave the sugar out entirely next time. Overall though, a very good soup! Try topping it with some butter & garlic croutons just before serving - it really put this soup over the top!"