Spinach Tomato Spread Recipe
"Everyone at our get-togethers raves about this festive-looking zippy dip," writes Eleonora Marinelli of Hagerstown, Maryland.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 20 min. YIELD:32 servings
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- PITA TRIANGLES:
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 whole pita breads
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1. In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, milk, salt and cayenne until smooth. Stir in the tomatoes, spinach and onion. Spoon into an ungreased microwave-safe 9-in. pie plate.
- 2. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring once.
- 3. Meanwhile, combine butter and oil; brush over both sides of pitas. Cut each pita into eight wedges; place on ungreased baking sheets. Combine cumin and lemon-pepper; sprinkle over both sides of wedges.
- 4. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Serve with spread. Yield: 4 cups (4 dozen pita triangles).
1 serving (1/4 cup) equals 69 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 127 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC