Spinach-Tomato Phyllo Bake Recipe
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 10 sheets phyllo dough (14x9-inch size)
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- 3 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine first nine ingredients; set aside.
- 2. Spritz one sheet of phyllo dough with butter-flavored cooking spray. Place in an 8-in.-square baking dish coated with cooking spray, allowing one end of dough to hang over edge of dish. Repeat with four more phyllo sheets, staggering the overhanging phyllo around edges of dish. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.)
- 3. Spoon a third of the spinach mixture into crust. Layer with half of the tomatoes, another third of the spinach mixture, remaining tomatoes and remaining spinach mixture. Spritz and layer remaining phyllo dough as before.
- 4. Gently fold ends of dough over filling and toward center of baking dish; spritz with butter-flavored spray. Cover edges with foil. Bake 55-60 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece: 216 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 153mg cholesterol, 652mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 15g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 medium-fat meat, 2 vegetable.
Reviews for Spinach-Tomato Phyllo Bake
"This was good. We subsituted fat free feta and it was still pretty good. may add more seasoning next time."
"I love this! It was so light and delicious!!"
"Not bad, but not great either. Lacking in flavor and overall, very disappointing."