From her kitchen in Glasgow, Scotland, Shirley Kacmarik sends this flaky phyllo bake with an excellent mix of flavors. The low-fat main dish features tomatoes, feta and spinach with a pleasant amount of dill and nutmeg for a special meal.
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 10 sheets phyllo dough (14x9-inch size)
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- 3 large tomatoes, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine first nine ingredients; set aside.
- Spritz one sheet of phyllo dough with butter-flavored cooking spray. Place in an 8-in.-square baking dish coated with cooking spray, allowing one end of dough to hang over edge of dish. Repeat with four more phyllo sheets, staggering the overhanging phyllo around edges of dish. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.)
- Spoon a third of the spinach mixture into crust. Layer with half of the tomatoes, another third of the spinach mixture, remaining tomatoes and remaining spinach mixture. Spritz and layer remaining phyllo dough as before.
- Gently fold ends of dough over filling and toward center of baking dish; spritz with butter-flavored spray. Cover edges with foil. Bake 55-60 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spinach-Tomato Phyllo Bake in Light & Tasty August/September 2007, p31
Reviews for Spinach-Tomato Phyllo Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 26, 2012
"This was good. We subsituted fat free feta and it was still pretty good. may add more seasoning next time."
Reviewed Jul. 4, 2011
"I love this! It was so light and delicious!!"
Reviewed Sep. 10, 2010
"Not bad, but not great either. Lacking in flavor and overall, very disappointing."