Spinach Swiss Quiche Recipe
- 1 refrigerated pie pastry
- 4 turkey bacon strips, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups egg substitute
- 1/2 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt, pepper and paprika
- 6 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- 1. On a lightly floured surface, unroll pastry. Transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil.
- 2. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 350°.
- 3. In a small skillet, cook the bacon, onion and red pepper until vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in spinach. Spoon spinach mixture into pastry.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine the egg substitute, cottage cheese, Swiss cheese and seasonings; pour over spinach mixture.
- 5. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
- 6. Serve with sour cream. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece with 1 tablespoon sour cream equals 278 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 659 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch.