Spinach Surprise Recipe
"If you're looking for a good way to get kids to eat spinach, try this zippy side dish spiced with picante sauce," suggests Sandra Weaver of Fort Gordon, Georgia. "My teenage daughter likes it so much she makes it herself."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:4-6 servings
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 to 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1/2 cup picante sauce or salsa
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour and salt until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in spinach and picante sauce. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 156 calories, 10 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 486 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC