Spinach Surprise Recipe
"If you're looking for a good way to get kids to eat spinach, try this zippy side dish spiced with picante sauce," suggests Sandra Weaver of Fort Gordon, Georgia. "My teenage daughter likes it so much she makes it herself."
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 to 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1/2 cup picante sauce or salsa
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour and salt until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in spinach and picante sauce. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese.
- Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Spinach Surprise in Quick Cooking May/June 2000, p47
Reviews for Spinach Surprise(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review