- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 to 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1/2 cup picante sauce or salsa
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour and salt until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in spinach and picante sauce. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese.
- Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Spinach Surprise in Quick Cooking May/June 2000, p47
Reviews for Spinach Surprise
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 8, 2016
"I thought it was okay, my family wasn't thrilled with it. Gonna see who I can give the left overs to, hate to throw out food!"