Clara Coulston of Washington Court House, Ohio showcases spinach at its best in this satisfying side dish. Mushrooms, onion and crunchy walnuts enhance the good-for-you greens. With so much flavor, you won't even miss the butter!
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts, toasted
- In a large saucepan, cook mushrooms and onion in broth over
- medium-low heat until tender. Stir in the spinach, garlic powder,
- salt and pepper; cover and cook for 2-3 minutes or until spinach is
- wilted. Stir in walnuts. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 2
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 108 calories, 5 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 469 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.