Spinach-Stuffed Tomatoes Recipe
I refused to try spinach for many years. Then one day I found this interesting recipe and decided to give it a whirl. It convinced my taste buds that spinach can be delicious!—Wendy Furie, Frederick, Maryland
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/2-in. thick shell. Invert tomatoes onto paper towels to drain.
- 2. Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet. Add spinach; cook and stir 7 minutes. In a bowl, combine bread crumbs and Italian seasoning. Set aside 1/4 cup for topping. Add spinach and cheese to remaining crumb mixture. Sprinkle tomato shells with garlic salt and pepper; stuff with spinach mixture. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; toss with reserved crumbs. Sprinkle over tomatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until crumbs are lightly browned. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 190 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 314 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Spinach-Stuffed Tomatoes
Reviewed Apr. 23, 2013
"Simple and tasty.Need to use less bread crumbs and more cheese. I found 3/4 cups of bread crumbs made it a little too dry so I uses 1/2 cup the second time. Delicious recipe though. Everyone was fighting over the last one."
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC