I refused to try spinach for many years. Then one day I found this interesting recipe and decided to give it a whirl. It convinced my taste buds that spinach can be delicious!—Wendy Furie, Frederick, Maryland
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/2-in. thick shell. Invert tomatoes onto paper towels to drain.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet. Add spinach; cook and stir 7 minutes. In a bowl, combine bread crumbs and Italian seasoning. Set aside 1/4 cup for topping. Add spinach and cheese to remaining crumb mixture. Sprinkle tomato shells with garlic salt and pepper; stuff with spinach mixture. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; toss with reserved crumbs. Sprinkle over tomatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until crumbs are lightly browned. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spinach-Stuffed Tomatoes in Taste of Home June/July 1998, p44
Reviews for Spinach-Stuffed Tomatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 23, 2013
"Simple and tasty.Need to use less bread crumbs and more cheese. I found 3/4 cups of bread crumbs made it a little too dry so I uses 1/2 cup the second time. Delicious recipe though. Everyone was fighting over the last one."