A succulent mixture of spinach, peppers and sunflower kernels gives extra-special flavor to these steak slices from Jetta Kaune of Ft. Huachuca, Arizona. "When I have time, I roast my own sweet peppers for the filling," she notes.
Recommended: 45 Super Foods for Your Brain
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels, toasted
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 beef flank steak (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- In a bowl, combine the first eight ingredients; mix well. Cut steak horizontally from a long edge to within 1/2 in. of opposite edge; open (like a book) and flatten to 1/2-in. thickness. Spread spinach mixture over the steak to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; tie with kitchen string.
- Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Uncover; bake 30-45 minutes longer or until tender. Let stand for 10-15 minutes. Cut into 1/2-in. slices. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spinach-Stuffed Steak in Quick Cooking September/October 2000, p57