Spinach Stuffed Pizza Recipe
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down; divide into thirds.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough into a 10-in. circle. Transfer to a 9-in. springform pan coated with cooking spray. Press dough onto bottom and up sides of pan.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the spinach, mushrooms, onion, salt and pepper. Sprinkle half of the mozzarella cheese over crust. Cover with spinach mixture; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella.
- 4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out a second portion of dough into a 10-in. circle; place over cheese layer. Pinch together top and bottom crust. (Save remaining dough for another use).
- 5. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Spread pizza sauce over top crust; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 5-6 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (one piece) equals 285 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 712 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 18 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.