I had my first stuffed pizza when I attended college near Chicago. I was amazed to see pizza well over an inch thick, with topping on the inside! When I served this version to my family, there are no leftovers. —Nancy Gilmour of Sumner, Iowa
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Place thawed dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, mix spinach, mushrooms, onion, salt and pepper. Punch down dough; divide into thirds. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough to a 10-in. circle. Transfer to a 9-in. springform pan coated with cooking spray; press dough onto bottom and partway up sides of pan.
- Sprinkle 1 cup mozzarella cheese onto bottom of crust. Top with spinach mixture; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out a second portion of dough to a 10-in. circle; place over cheese layer. Pinch together top and bottom crust to seal. (Save remaining dough for another use).
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Spread pizza sauce over top; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 5-6 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spinach Stuffed Pizza in Light & Tasty June/July 2003, p29
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Spinach-Stuffed Pizza
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review