Spinach-Stuffed Onions Recipe
Take frozen spinach souffle to a new level by stuffing it into onion shells. The onions make a wonderful side for roasts and other meaty entrees.—Kathann Koehler, Loveland, Ohio
- 4 medium sweet onions
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen spinach souffle, thawed
- 1/2 cup plus 4 teaspoons shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. Peel onions. Cut a 1/2-in. slice from the top of each onion; remove center with a melon baller, leaving 1/2-in. shells. Chop removed onion and set aside 1 tablespoon. (Discard remaining chopped onion or save for another use.)
- 2. Place onion shells in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the spinach soufflé, 1/2 cup cheese, salt, nutmeg and chopped onion. Brush the onion centers with butter. Fill with spinach mixture. Place on a baking sheet.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until souffle is puffed and set. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
1 stuffed onion: 250 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 574mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 4g fiber), 11g protein
Reviews for Spinach-Stuffed Onions
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC