Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Rolls Recipe
- 3/4 cup each chopped onion, celery and sweet red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 2 cups seasoned stuffing croutons, lightly crushed
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon salt-free lemon-pepper seasoning, optional
- 1. In a nonstick skillet, saute the onion, celery, red pepper and garlic in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Add spinach; cook and stir until spinach is wilted. Cool. Add egg substitute and croutons; mix well.
- 2. Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Top each piece with spinach stuffing; roll up and secure with toothpicks. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, broth, lemon juice and browning sauce if desired until smooth. In a nonstick skillet, saute mushrooms in remaining butter until tender. Gradually stir in broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- 4. Remove toothpicks from roll-ups. Serve with mushroom sauce. Sprinkle with lemon-pepper if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 chicken roll-up with 3 tablespoons sauce equals 349 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 105 mg cholesterol, 631 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 41 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.