Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Pockets Recipe
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup garlic-herb spreadable cheese
- 2/3 cup plus 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large skillet, saute spinach in 2 teaspoons oil until spinach is wilted. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in the spreadable cheese, 2/3 cup bread crumbs and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cut a pocket in the thickest part of each chicken breast; fill with spinach mixture. Secure with toothpicks.
- 2. Place egg in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine the pepper and remaining bread crumbs and salt. Dip chicken in egg, then coat with bread crumb mixture.
- 3. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in remaining oil for 8-10 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. Discard toothpicks before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
1 chicken breast half equals 539 calories, 35 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 182 mg cholesterol, 819 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 41 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.