Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Pockets for Two Recipe
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup garlic-herb spreadable cheese
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a small skillet, saute spinach and garlic in 1 teaspoon oil until spinach is wilted. Remove from the heat. Stir in the spreadable cheese, 1/3 cup bread crumbs and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cut a pocket in the thickest part of each chicken breast; fill with spinach mixture. Secure with toothpicks.
- 2. Place egg in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine the pepper and remaining bread crumbs and salt. Dip chicken in egg, then coat with bread crumb mixture.
- 3. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in remaining oil for 8-10 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Discard toothpicks before serving. Yield: 2 servings.
1 chicken breast half equals 544 calories, 35 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 193 mg cholesterol, 823 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 42 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.