Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup dry whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, cook and stir spinach and garlic in oil just until wilted. Drain. Stir in 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Pound chicken breasts with a meat mallet to 1/8-in. thickness. Spread each with 1 tablespoon spinach mixture. Fold chicken in half enclosing filling; secure with toothpicks.
- Place bread crumbs and egg in separate shallow bowls. Dip chicken in egg, then roll in crumbs to coat. Place seam side down in an 8-in.-square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine tomato sauce, basil and oregano. Pour over chicken. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 165°. Discard toothpicks before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Parmesan in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2014
This recipe pairs well with a medium red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Santa Margherita Chianti Classico Reserva Italy 2009. Initial tastes of fruits and spice move to herbal notes for a long smooth finish. Buy now and get 3 bottles for $49.99. Order Now
Reviews for Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Parmesan
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review