Spinach-Stuffed Bread Recipe
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar or Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 1. Thaw bread dough according to package directions; let rise until doubled. Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in spinach.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 14-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Spread the spinach mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges; sprinkle with cheese. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Place seam side down on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; tuck ends under.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack; let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (2 slices) equals 340 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 687 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 21 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat.