Spinach Squares Recipe
Even people who don't care for spinach can't pass up these satisfying appetizer squares. They're a hit as a deliciously different vegetable side dish as well. —Patricia Kile, Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:16 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup chopped onion
- Sliced pimientos, optional
- 1. Brush the bottom and sides of a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish with 1 tablespoon butter; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, seasonings, eggs, milk and remaining butter. Stir in the spinach, cheeses and onion. Spread in prepared pan.
- 2. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean and edges are lightly browned. Cut into squares. Garnish with pimientos if desired. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 serving (3 each) equals 175 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 344 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC