Spinach Spirals with Mushroom Sauce Recipe
- 3/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons sherry or additional chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- SPINACH ROLL:
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in butter for 2-3 minutes. Stir in flour until blended; cook 2-3 minutes longer or until liquid is absorbed. Gradually stir in broth and cream. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in the sherry or additional broth, mustard and lemon juice. Cool for 15 minutes.
- 2. Grease and line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with parchment paper; grease the paper. Sprinkle with bread crumbs; set aside. In a large bowl, combine spinach, butter, salt, pepper, nutmeg and egg yolks. In a small bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into spinach mixture. Gently spoon over bread crumbs; press down lightly. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until center springs back when lightly touched. Cover with a piece of greased foil; immediately invert pan onto foil. Gently peel away parchment paper.
- 4. Spread 1 cup mushroom sauce over spinach mixture to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side and peeling foil away while rolling. Cut into slices. Reheat remaining mushroom sauce; serve with spinach spirals. Yield: 12 servings.
1 each: 184 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 353mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Spinach Spirals with Mushroom Sauce
"This is a great recipe!"
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.