Spinach salad is excellent with this tangy topping. It really perks it up. A friend shared a similar salad dressing recipe with me, which I modified a bit. The rhubarb adds rosy color and mouthwatering flavor.—Twila Mitchell, Lindsborg, Kansas
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons grated onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups torn fresh spinach
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 to 2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- In a saucepan, combine rhubarb, sugar and vinegar; cook over medium heat until the rhubarb is tender, about 6 minutes. Drain, reserving about 6 tablespoons juice; discard pulp.
- Pour juice into a jar with tight-fitting lid; add oil, onion, Worcestershire sauce and salt. Shake well. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Just before serving, combine salad ingredients in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss to coat. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Spinach Salad with Rhubarb Dressing in Taste of Home April/May 1998, p25
Reviews for Spinach Salad with Rhubarb Dressing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review