After having a salad like this at a restaurant years ago, I came up with this recipe. It is especially good when the spinach comes right from the garden to the table.
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, torn
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 medium fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup salad croutons
- 6 pitted ripe olives, halved
- 3 slices red onion, halved
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Divide spinach between two plates. Arrange the eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, croutons, olives and red onion over top.
- In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute onion in drippings until tender.
- Stir in the sugar, ketchup, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Sprinkle bacon over salads; drizzle with dressing. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing in Reminisce Extra September 2009, p53
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review